Updated: Apr 1, 2019
We are delighted to announce that we are launching our first ever Puppy Preschool program. The first months of a dog's life are incredibly important and can determine exactly how a dog will behave going into adulthood.
"DON'T WASTE PUPPY HOOD"
- Ian Dunbar
World Renowned Veterinarian, Behaviorist, and Trainer
Here are some of the things we will cover in Puppy Preschool, most of which are not covered in our basic obedience program.
• Supervised playtime with other puppies, adult dogs, and humans! We keep these play groups very small with only 2 dogs at a time. At this age puppies are still developing crucial social skills like polite greetings, being gentle with their teeth, reading other dog's social cues, and growing a positive response to being around other dogs and humans! During this time, there will be a training interlude every 30 seconds. This can mean a simple collar grab, then give a treat, then back to play or a few seconds of luring into different positions then back to play! This helps with reliability when off leash, regulating arousal levels, and helps the puppy learn to think and pay attention in the midst of distractions.
Each puppy will complete multiple 15 minute positive reinforcement basic obedience training sessions a day. In puppy preschool, we will cover sit, down, ringing bells to potty, and walking well on a leash.
• Magical crate of treats and toys!
We will first work on playing multiple crate games and completing various activities in the crate. Once we think your pup has a positive conditioned emotional response developed to the crate, we will then begin working on entering the crate on cue and controlling their impulses entering and leaving the crate.
• Introduction to grooming and handling
This is going to be especially useful for grooming appointments and vet visits! During this period of Puppy Preschool, we will work on creating a positive response to opening and clothing their mouths, touching their paws, feeling their bellies, lifting their legs, and more. Once they have a positive response developed to touch, we will move onto creating a positive response to nail trims, ear cleaning, teeth wiping, and bathing. This package includes two nail trimmings, two ear cleanings, two teeth wipings, and your puppies first professional bath!
• Exploring new things
Each puppy will explore new textures, surfaces, and smells such as different textured rugs, tunnels, wobbly surfaces, scent games like brain stimulating puzzles, and more!
• Introduction to trick training and canine conditioning
• Age appropriate nap times
• Scheduled meal breaks
*For puppies under 6 months of age*
20 Consecutive business days, Monday-Friday